14 August 2012

Welfare and Healthcare (Part two)


In my previous blog, I discussed the loss of our personal freedom by the government’s intrusion into healthcare.  This time, I will talk about the loss of our religious freedom from the mandated healthcare program.

One of our cherished liberties in the US is freedom of worship.  Our founding fathers saw the sad results which came from the state church in Europe and wanted to give us liberty to practice our faith without government interference.  However, the new health-care package includes family planning and abortion as a part of the government program.  The government not only provides the liberties for a woman to obtain an abortion, the healthcare package pays for her abortion if she doesn’t have the necessary resources to pay for it herself.

However, 49% of US citizens pay NO TAXES.  That leaves the other 51% to pay the bill for healthcare which means I am forced to pay the taxes which pays the bill for the abortion of the woman can’t pay on her own.  It doesn’t matter that I believe life is sacred and that it is wrong for her to get an abortion.  This is a loss of my religious freedom.  I’m forced to pay for something which my conscious forbids me to practice.

To make the matter even worse, religious organizations which employ women of childbearing years are forced to provide the medical healthcare for family planning and abortion even though such practices are condemned by their church.  So much has been said in the secular media about separation of church and state, but this is an obvious intrusion into religious life by our government and the media has been strangely silent about it.  It doesn’t matter what your religious conviction may be about abortion or contraceptives, our government is now dictating that employers must provide healthcare coverage according to their standards.  This is clearly a loss of our religious freedom.

When the government dictates in matters of faith, it has taken away my religious freedom in that area.  Therefore, I oppose any healthcare which intrudes into my religious beliefs.